Secondo Pia's 1898 negative of the image on the Shroud of Turin has an appearance suggesting a positive image.It is used as part of the devotion to the Holy Face of Jesus. The shroud is rectangular, measuring approximately 4.4 by 1.1 metres (14 ft 5 in × 3 ft 7 in).
In 1988, three radiocarbon dating tests dated a corner piece of the shroud from the Middle Ages, between the years 12, which is consistent with the shroud's first known exhibition in France in 1357.
The image on the shroud is much clearer in black-and-white negative than in its natural sepia color, and this negative image was first observed in 1898 on the reverse photographic plate of amateur photographer Secondo Pia, who was allowed to photograph it while it was being exhibited.
A drop of molten silver from the reliquary produced a symmetrically placed mark through the layers of the folded cloth.
Poor Clare Nuns attempted to repair this damage with patches.
The history of the shroud from the 15th century is well recorded.
In 1453 Margaret de Charny deeded the Shroud to the House of Savoy. Since the 17th century the shroud has been displayed (e.g.
The shroud is kept in the royal chapel of the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist in Turin, northern Italy.
The Catholic Church has neither formally endorsed nor rejected the shroud, but in 1958 Pope Pius XII approved of the image in association with the devotion to the Holy Face of Jesus.
The image of the "Man of the Shroud" has a beard, moustache, and shoulder-length hair parted in the middle.
He is muscular and tall (various experts have measured him as from 1.70 to 1.88 m or 5 ft 7 in to 6 ft 2 in).
The origins of the shroud and its images are the subject of intense debate among theologians, historians and other researchers.